Friday, August 13, 2010

It is Friday the 13th

For many Americans this day invokes fear and trepidation. Hey, it's Friday so I really cannnot complain. It's been very busy in the Walton GSB and I am looking forward to a couple of days of recuperation.

Last weekend was MMBA Orientation. I did take Monday and Tuesday of this week off but I went to visit family in Oklahoma so it was not very relaxing. I drove from Fayetteville to Claremore to Owasso to Bartlesville to Tulsa to Bartlesville to Claremore to Fayetteville. Ugh.

This week has been very busy for all of us. My colleagues in Student Services have been getting ready for more Orientations next week. Monday is Orientation for MIS and Professional MIS. MAcc Orientation is Tuesday and Wednesday and then we wrap it up with PhD Orientation on Thursday.

On the Admissions side of the GSB, student traffic has really picked up. I have been visiting with lots of students regarding graduate school for next year. It seems to have started a little earlier this year. We are also finalizing our admissions for this fall.

MBA application deadline is September 15. The goal is to admit 20 more students. Over the next few weeks I will be "working" these applications. This means I will be going through the files, seeing what is missing, and then notifying students. I want to complete as many folders as possible so that we can review as many applications as possible.

I am also working on my fall schedule - scheduling career fairs and corporate visits as well as classroom visits. It's hard to believe classes start in just over a week (August 23). My children start school on the 19th and I haven't even got school supplies yet. This is very unlike me. I think I have been in denial - summer cannot possibly be over already.

My daughter, Zoey, has been away this week. She has spent some time with my sister in Claremore and a friend, Maddy, in Tulsa. She is coming back tomorrow. My friend, Stephanie (Maddy's mom), is bringing her back home and then will stay overnight. She is bringing Maddy as well. The girls are the same age and Stephanie and I went to school together in Nowata and Tulsa University (my mom also graduated high school with her dad). It's great that our daughters also enjoy each other. I am looking forward to her visit. I think we will go to Hog Haus for dinner tomorrow night and then maybe to Willie D's, a piano bar. I'll report back on Monday.

No comments: