Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Can't Believe Another Year is Nearly Over

I can remember when I was a little girl, hearing my grandmother lament about the passage of time. I often heard, "Where has the time gone?" Or, "I can't believe it's time to put up the Christmas lights again." I never really understood what she meant. As a child, time marches along fairly slowly - summer vacation is forever away and the days before Christmas seem to last 48 rather than 24 hours. As we age, we start to use the phrases of our parents and grandparents. I now find myself saying, with alarming regularity, "I can't believe another semester is almost over."

The University is closed for the Winter Holiday beginning on Friday, December 23. We return to the office on Tuesday, January 3, 2012. YES, 2012! Wasn't it just yesterday that we were storing water and batteries in preparation for world chaos to reign on January 1, 2000?

MBA Orientation is Monday, January 9 through Friday, January 13 and then the spring semester begins on Tuesday, January 17. On Monday, January 16, the University will be closed in recognition of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

PhD application deadline is January 15; however, I do recommend submitting all materials as soon as possible. Many departments will begin reviewing files before this published deadline. First round offers will go out mid-February. We do keep a small waiting list while we wait to hear back from this first group. Second round offers are then made if necessary.

MIS application deadline is February 1. You can find a complete list of all application requirements at http://gsb.uark.edu/admissions.asp.

At this time of year, students are anxious to learn the status of their files. We, in admissions, answer these queries as quickly as possible. As the spring semester begins, we have back to back application deadlines. We will process PhD and MAECON, then move on to MIS, then to MAcc, Professional MIS, and finally to MBA and MMBA. I review all files prior to each deadline and inform students of any missing documents. Please be patient with us as we do have a small admissions staff and we are receiving more and more applications each year. This is an excellent problem to have.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

EMJohnson said...

Hope you had fun at Disney World! I am set to take the GMAT in late January and just wanted to thank you for your guidance in choosing this route to pursue.

Best,
Elizabeth Johnson
(Admissions)

Rebel Smith, Ed.D. said...

Elizabeth, Disney was great. Good luck with the GMAT and be sure to let me know if you need anything else. Rebel