Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Walton PhD Funding

I have had some questions regarding the funding for our PhD students so I thought I had better clarify. All tuition is waived for Walton PhD students and a graduate assistantship (GA) is awarded of $17,000. In exchange, students work 20 hours a week teaching and conducting research.

To be eligible for the Distinguished Doctoral Fellowship (DDF), and additional $20,000, applicants must have a GMAT of at least 650 and a master's GPA of 3.75. The departments select their admits, they will then nominate them for the DDF. The University's Graduate School selects the DDF recipients. Any student eligible for the DDF who is denied this fellowship will automatically receive the DAF.

To be eligible for the Doctoral Academy Fellowship (DAF), students need a minimum GMAT of 600 and a master's GPA of 3.5. This award is an additional $10,000. The process is the same as for DDF. The acedemic department makes nominations and the selections are made by the University's Graduate School.

This funding is quite generous. I encourage all those interested to contact me.

PhD application deadline is January 15.

2 comments:

Ansah said...

I am interested in the PhD program. I have a good GPA, but my GMAT score is 570. What are my chances for admission and the potential of extra funding beyond the 17000 graduate assistantship. Is the extra funding strictly tied to GMAT score and no exceptions made

Rebel Smith, Ed.D. said...

The funding for the Distinguished Doctoral Fellowship and the Doctoral Academy Fellowship are tied to GMAT score. The score needed is 650 and 600, respectively. A GMAT below 600 would only be eligible for the $17,000.