Monday, May 24, 2010

Weekend Summary

I was off on Friday to enjoy a very nice 3-day weekend. Well, I did enjoy it, for the most part. On Thursday night, Zoey was spinning Jack in her computer chair. Gravity and the G force won and he fell. No one said anything though. On Friday, my day off, I noticed Jack's coloring was off and that he didn't look well. You don't ask a 6 year old if he is sick - especially when he knows his mom has the day off. I kept my eye on him and noticed he was holding his arm very protectively against his side. I finally asked him what he did to his arm. That is when I got the spinning chair story. I asked Zoey to show me how he fell and when I saw how he landed on the floor, I decided to take him to the doctor. We were able to feel his shoulder and move his arm around. He flinched a little but no tears and no cries of pain. I thought he probably knocked his shoulder out.


As you can see, that is not a dislocated shoulder. That is a broken clavicle (collarbone). And of course there is not a should immobilizer small enough for a 6 year old little boy - which I find odd. I know it is not uncommon for little boys to break their collarbones. I told him that this is why I am always telling him to stop jumping on the couch. So, my Friday morning off was spent in the doctor's office and then trying to find something to put on him to hold him still for his bone to heal. We ended up putting a figure 8 on him and a sling. He is still able to move his arm entirely too much. The rest of my weekend was spent camping on the Elk River in Noel, MO. My mom came into town so she got to stay with my daredevil children. The weather was beautiful but we weren't able to float. The River was too high.

This is going to make our trip to Yellowstone very interesting. Poor guy is now finished with T-ball this year and he can't swim for 6 weeks. Maybe now they'll listen to their ol' mom.

No comments: