Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What is going on in the Walton GSB?

Commencement was on May 8 and last week was a week without students on campus, meaning that spring semester had ended and the first summer session hadn't begun yet. We all took advantage and took a day or two off. The first part of May is very busy. Summer school started yesterday so we are back to sharing the parking deck with students. Last week I took advantage of the peace and quiet to finally get some things cleared off of my desk. It felt great. I do have a few projects that I will be focusing on over the summer - things I don't typically have time to work on during the school year.

Of course, we are not finished recruiting for the MBA - both full and part-time. Full-time application deadline is September 15 and we are continuing to accept part-time (MMBA) applications through July 31. In fact, I am meeting a Walton alum and a few prospective students he works with on Thursday for lunch. There is no rest for the wicked and I will continue recruiting for our MBA programs this summer.

The student programs side of the office (my side of the office works with applicants and prospective students through the admissions process. Once admitted, student programs takes over and provides services for them while they are students) are wrapping things up for the graduated students - conferring degrees - and getting ready for the new students who will begin in the fall. We do have MBA students interning this summer and a few of them are in the area. They pop in from time to time. Before we know it, it'll be time for new student Orientation.

I have a couple of upcoming trips that I am very excited about. I am taking my kids to Yellowstone National Park in two weeks. We took my daughter when she was 5 and I am looking forward to going back with her and my son. I have family in Cheyenne and Rawlins so we'll spend some time there first before we head on up to the Park. We'll also see Jackson and Cody. Jackson, Wyoming is incredibly beautiful. This time we are going to go to Mount Rushmore as well. It will be my first time there. I'll be out of the office from Friday, June 4 through Monday, June 14. It's a long trip; we'll be covering many, many miles. I hope I survive with my kids in the car. I'll be sure to blog all about it.

No comments: