Thursday, January 15, 2009

IT'S SNOWING!

It really is not as if we don't get snow here in Fayetteville, Arkansas. We do get snow - just not very much of it. It is bitterly cold today and is supposed to be even colder tomorrow. My philosophy is that if it is going to be this cold, it should at least snow. Well, it is snowing and it is a beautiful snow. It looks like I am in a snow globe. Fayetteville is really a pretty town and dressed in snow, it is quite charming.

A typical winter here consists of temperatures usually in the 20s and 30s. It does get colder than this, as evidenced by the temperature right now of 13 degrees (windchill of 2 degrees), but it also gets much warmer. These cold days do not last long. We may get a few days of cold weather, followed by very nice weather. This is a typical cycle. Northwest Arkansas is not like some areas where it stays cold the entire winter.

And we really don't get much snow. It is more common for us to get ice here. It will rain, the temperatures will drop to below freezing, and then everything ices over. Thankfully, this only happens a hand full of times each year. My kids love it when it snows enough to go sledding. So far, this hasn't happened yet this year. I think we went twice last year. You have to go fast because usually by the afternoon, it has melted.

So, for now, Fayetteville looks like a beautiful winter wonderland. I'll try not to sit and gaze out my window too much today. Today is the last day to submit PhD applications so I have plenty to keep me busy.

No comments: