Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Master of Accountancy (MAcc) Orientation

Today is the second and final day of MAcc Orientation. Here is the schedule for this day and a half event.

Yesterday
1:00-Welcome from Senior Associate Dean, Bill Curington, and Assistant Dean, Marion Dunagan
1:15-Program overview and course options-Dr. Gary Peters, program coordinator
1:45-Career Development Center presentation-Dr. Heather Sprandel and Renee Clay
2:30-Technology training
3:00-Teambuilding-Anna Lyst (our GA) and I sent them on a Scavenger Hunt
5:00-Wrap up and dismissal
5:30-Informal social at Jose's

Today
8:15-Those on graduate assistantship (GA) were debriefed
8:30-Breakfast
8:45-Overview of the day
9:00-Discussion panel-communication skills
10:30-Discussion panel-managing time and assignments
11:45-Lunch
1:00-Discussion panel-teams in the workplace
2:30-Discussion panel-career tracks and competencies
3:45-Planning for spring
4:30-Wrap up and dismissal
5:00-Reception at Powerhouse

All discussion panelists are from companies with strong ties to the Walton MAcc. This is a great opportunity for our new MAcc students to network and make that important first impression on potential future employers.











These photos was taken yesterday. This Orientation is held where their classes will be held, in Willard J. Walker Hall. This is a wonderful, state of the art building. For more details, visit http://waltoncollege.uark.edu/walkerhall/.

This last picture is of the winning team from the scavenger hunt. They are: Emily Hornok, Kayla Moschner, Tom Hauskey, Will Matthew, and Joe Holcomb.

On a separate note, today was the first day of school for my kids. My son, Jack, began kindergarten today. I have to say, that with Zoey, I was so excited about every milestone and welcomed them gladly as a sign of her growing up. It is completely different when it is the baby. I am in no hurry at all for him to grow up. I am not holding him back either, although it is tough sometimes. For instance, he did not want me to walk him in this morning. I really had to fight my instincts but I let him be independent and walk in by himself. After all, it is about him today, not me.

Tomorrow I am going to Hot Springs to attend a Human Resource conference. I will be sharing information about our 2 part-time programs with HR managers from Western Arkansas. It is definitely getting busier in the world of recruiting. I need to lace up my running shoes and get ready to go.

No comments: