Friday, August 21, 2009

What day is it and where am I?

It's Friday! Yea! We are finished with all new student Orientations for this year. Our next Orientation will be January 4-8 for the full-time Walton MBA program. Yesterday I had the very great pleasure of driving to Hot Springs in the rain. Rain is such a pleasant, passive word that comes nowhere close to describing what I was driving through. My wipers were going as fast as they could go, it was dark, and I happened to be driving through Fort Smith about 8:00 during the worst of it - traffic wasn't pleasant. When I reached Hot Springs it was hardly raining there so at least I was able to unload and get inside without having to deal with it anymore. Thankfully it had passed by the time I left at 3:00. The sun was out and I had a pleasant drive back to Fayetteville - except for those 18-wheelers on 270. I somehow managed to get stuck behind a line of trucks on a winding, 2-lane road going 40 miles an hour. I am not a patient person under the best of circumstances. This is a driving situation that highly frustrates me - no way to get around them and nowhere else to go. I just had to sit back and wait - something I don't do very well.

I did make it home safe and sound so all went well. I was also able to pass out program information to Human Resource managers in western and central Arkansas. Today is a beautiful, sunny day. We are experiencing very unusual weather for August in Arkansas. This is typically our hottest month but it is currently 69 degrees with an expected high to be in the 80s. Usually we are in the triple digits right now.

I haven't written since my kids started school. All is well on the home front. This is my daughter's first year playing school ball. She played peewee basketball for 4 years and now she gets to practice during school and ride the bus to games. No more mom and dad getting her to practice 2 nights a week and to games on Saturday. We'll still go to her games but it's nice to not have to worry about getting her to practice. She is also in pre-algebra this year. I am really hoping this goes well. She does very well in Math; it is not my favorite subject, in fact there wasn't much I liked less in school, and I am trying to keep my biases to myself. Her dad and I have encouraged her natural Math ability. Now it the real test - algebra. Fingers crossed.

Kindergarten is going well. Jack told me last night that zone 3 was outside voice, zone 2 was inside voice, and zone 1 was whisper. I am liking this a lot. While he was speaking very loudly to me, I said, "Jack, zone 2" and he immediately started using his inside voice. Woohoo. He also raised his hand when he wanted to talk to me. How cute is that?

Classes begin here at the University of Arkansas on Monday. Once I recup from these last 2 crazy weeks, I will get back to work on MBA applications. The final deadline is September 15th. The admissions committee is meeting on the 23rd. We will accept late applications as space allows. Our goal for this next class is 42-45 and we are currently at 28. If you are planning on joining the Walton MBA class of 2011, be sure that all application materials are submitted to the GSB by September 15th. Email gsb@walton.uark.edu with any questions.

No comments: