Monday, August 31, 2009

Let's Talk MBA

Today is the last day of August. Despite the fact that it is currently 58 degrees in Fayetteville, it really is still August. But not for much longer. Tomorrow is the first day of September. To me, September means that summer is coming to an end and that fall is on it's way. The last holiday of the summer, Labor Day is in early September. Football season also gets kicked off this month. I LOVE football! I am sure I have mentioned that before. I grew up in small town Oklahoma. Football is huge! The first game of the season for the Razorbacks is this Saturday against Missouri State. GO HOGS! Friday night is high school football and I'll be taking my kids to watch their Greenland Pirates play their rival, West Fork. I really enjoy small town high school football. It doesn't get any better than that. I just noticed all the exclamation points in this paragraph. Guess what? I get really excited about football.

Okay, back to business. September, for me, also means MBA application deadline. Final application deadline for the Walton MBA is September 15th. We will accept late applications as space is available. We currently have 28 students in the class that will begin in January. Our goal is 42-45. All tier one graduate assistantships (GA) have been awarded. These waive tuition. We do have a small number (5-7) of tier two GAs remaining. Students who are awarded this level of funding pay in-state tuition and receive $10,000 from us over the 3 semester program. All students on GA work 15 hours each week. Previous GA sites have included: Dial, Dannon, Hershey, Walmart, Tyson, P&G, Kellogg, Sunbeam, Land O'Lakes, Mars, and many more. This is a unique and valuable opportunity that Walton MBA students have to gain valuable work experience.

It is a very competitive year for MBA applicants. Our 28 students have an average GMAT of 640, they have an average GPA of 3.4, they average over 4 years of work experience, and their average age is 27. They are a very impressive group. If you wish to join this class, be sure that you submit all application materials by September 15th. The admissions committee will meet on the 23rd. If you have applied and would like to know the committee's decision, you can email me at gsb@walton.uark.edu the afternoon of the 23rd and I will be happy to give you the result of the meeting.

No comments: