Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Monday was a big day for us

Let me start by saying that I am not from Arkansas. In fact, I was raised a Sooner. Growing up in Oklahoma, I didn't know a lot about Arkansas. I have now lived here since 1995 and I LOVE Fayetteville. It is a beautiful community and a great place to live and raise a family. There is so much to do - all in a great, small (pop. 70,000) college town.

Not only did I not know much about Arkansas, I knew nothing about the University of Arkansas. When you grow up in Oklahoma, there are two other schools that will remain nameless on this blog that get a great deal of attention. For those of you like me who know little or nothing about the UofA, let me take this opportunity to educate you, primarily about the Walton College. The Walton College is the 24th ranked (by US News & World Report) public school of business in the nation. No bordering state, except for Texas, has a higher ranked public school of business than we do. So, for those of you who are in Oklahoma, Missouri, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Mississippi - if you want to study business, we should be your top pick.

Our business school has a total population of about 3500-3600 and the Graduate School of Business has a population of about 300. We are small, but we are good.

So now that I have sold you on the UofA and the Walton College, I want to talk about our Distinguished Lecture Series and why Monday was such a big day for us. On Monday morning, oil man T. Boone Pickens spoke at the University (in the Walton College) about his energy plan and our need to no longer be dependent on foreign oil. This event was well attended and was piped into several other locations around campus.

That same night, George H. W. Bush spoke at Barnhill Arena on the UofA campus. Take my word for it, the University of Arkansas is where it's at.

AND, the Razorback baseball team defeated number 1 ranked Arizona State last night, 7-3. It just doesn't get much better than this.

No comments: