Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer has arrived in Northwest Arkansas

I grew up in Oklahoma and there is a saying there, "if you don't like the weather, stick around for 5 minutes and it will change." Well, the same saying holds true for Arkansas. In this area of the country, we do have a variety of weather. It wasn't that long ago that I was talking about all of the rain we have been getting. In fact, last week when I left for Baltimore it was still relatively cool here - in the 70s and 80s. I am not sure what happened but when I came back from the east coast (where it was raining by the way - maybe it's me), summer had arrived in Fayetteville. Today it is expected to be in the 90s. Just to let you know, it will reach triple digits here - usually the high is about 102 degrees. August is our hottest month with July right behind. We are moving into the part of the summer where we either stay inside where it is cool or we are in the water somewhere - floating one of the many rivers in the area or boating on Beaver Lake. The hottest part of the summer is over then in September so it is short heat wave. We can be thankful that it isn't months and months long.

Along with the heat that summer brings, we also have summer television. For those of you reading this from outside of this country, during the summer the popular television series do not show new episodes. Instead, we get repeats and then quirky, sometimes odd, "summer" TV. These programs only occur over the summer. For instance, America's Got Talent started last night as did Superstars. These are both reality shows and there are several others that are very similar. Most people don't watch much TV in the summer, preferring instead to be outside. I have a confession to make. I LOVE So You Think You Can Dance. I know I have mentioned this before but it is on tonight and I am really looking forward to it. It started a few weeks ago and now it is well into the competition. It is the highlight of awful summer television for me.

So, now you know what summer in Arkansas means to me - heat, the lake, and So You Think You Can Dance. I am not complaining, sounds pretty good to me.

No comments: