Friday, June 5, 2009

Walmart was in the house

This week, Walmart held their annual shareholders convention on the University of Arkansas campus. Our building, Willard J. Walker Hall was used during this event. Yesterday, groups met by country. From my window, I was able to see Puerto Rico, China, Chile, and others walk by. The attached picture is of Puerto Rico posing at the Shollmier Fountain. This is right outside our front door. As the groups walked around, they had songs and chants that they did. It was fun to watch.

The convention is over today. This is a huge event and there is lots of entertainment. I don't know all of the acts that performed but I can tell you that Brad Paisley, Sugarland, Foreigner, and Daughtry were among them. During this week, the population of Fayetteville swells by several thousands.

This afternoon it'll be back to our normal 72,000 and it is supposed to be a beautiful weekend. I will be at the ball park tonight with my son. After next week, T-ball will be done. He has had so much fun and I have to say, it hasn't been so bad for me. I am not a baseball fan, so for me to survive the season is a major accomplishment. Right now he is playing soccer and T-ball. This upcoming fall, he will be old enough to play flag football at the Fayetteville Boys and Girls Club. This is a beautiful facility (http://fayettevillekids.org/). In fact, my 12 year old daughter is there right now. I am relieved that my daughter only plays basketball but at 12, she is doing plenty of other things that are keeping me busy. Fayetteville is a wonderful town and there is so much to do.

My husband is going camping and canoeing this weekend. I'll be staying home with the kids. We were able to rent some equipment from the Outdoor Recreation Center here on campus. They have bikes, canoes, camping equipment - just all kinds of stuff. Another great resource. Check them out at http://imrs.uark.edu/2841.htm.

There is no shortage of things to do in Northwest Arkansas. I'll try to share new info about the area frequently.

No comments: