Monday, July 27, 2009

G-Force at the drive-in

Like I mentioned on Friday, I was pretty sure that I would be seeing G-Force this weekend. On Saturday, we loaded up the family and headed to the drive-in. For those of you not familiar with the drive-in, it is a classic small town American tradition. Drive-ins are not common anymore and we are very lucky to have one here in Fayetteville. This is the way the drive-in works: you get snacks, a cooler full of drinks, lawn chairs, blankets, and load up in the car. For us, it's a truck. For this trip to the drive-in, it was me, my husband, my son, my daughter, her two friends, and a couple friend of ours (Jeff and Shila). We met Jeff and Shila at Sam's, right across the street from the drive-in. They pile into the back of the truck with their chairs and snacks and off we went. They also charge by the car load ($12) so it's a bargain. Our drive-in is always showing a double feature. We saw G-Force and The Proposal.

The drive-in is great for kids. There is a playground so before the movie starts, the kids took off to play. The grown ups set up the site. We back the truck in, lower the tail gate, and set up the lawn chairs. During the movie, the kids were in the back of the truck while the adults were sitting in the lawn chairs. Going to the drive-in is a fabulous thing to do in the summer. I highly recommend it.

Now, to tell you what I thought about the movies. G-Force was disappointing. Most of the cute, funny parts were revealed in the commercials. It actually lost the interest of my 5-year old son. He has seen all of the latest kid movies and he usually sits enthralled. He lost focus a couple of times during this one. After G-Force, I laid him down so he would go to sleep. I thought The Proposal was very cute. Sandra Bullock is great and it has some really funny parts. Betty White is hysterical. So, for me, G-Force gets a C and The Proposal gets a B+.

Next weekend we are going camping at Devil's Den, another tradition in this area. When I say camping, I mean I am staying in a cabin. I'll be sure to report on this experience next week.

No comments: