Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summertime in GSB Admissions

Over the course of this summer I have tried to share with you what our MBA students have been doing (internships) and I have also told you what summer means to me in Northwest Arkansas. I just realized that I have neglected to keep you informed of what is going on in Graduate School of Business Admissions.

I have kept you apprised of admissions. Over the summer we are still working on admitting students to several programs: MBA, MMBA, MIS, and Professional MIS. We also get the occasional app for MAcc. But other than admissions, what am I doing? Well, let me tell you.

The summer for me is a time for projects - those big jobs that I just can't get to during the school year. In the fall, I am traveling quite a bit. In the spring, we are facing application deadlines and I am busy helping get files completed and to the Departments for review. Last summer I worked on revising all of our recruitment brochures and we began redesigning our website.

This summer my big project has been replacing my prospective student data base. This involved actually finding a system I wanted to use, purchasing said system, and then getting it set up. My background is in psychology and counseling. I am a people person. Like most people person, I relate to people much better than I do to computers. Now, don't get me wrong. I love my computer and I can just about get it to do anything I want. However, I am just a little bit technologically challenged. I realized, while trying to help with the new website, that the whole web development thing just wasn't for me. So, I definitely have my limitations.

I have to say that I am very proud of myself for what I have been able to get done with the new system. I am a visual learner - a VERY visual learner. Show me how to do something and I can pick it up right up. I have been on my own for this project so I have been a little out of my comfort zone. When you purchase a web based system, there is no tech support across the hall. I began by watching training videos and taking notes. Then I just jumped in and began doing it.

This system is used to save all prospective student information for the Walton's Graduate School of Business. I track all contacts with prospective students from initial contact through admission. I use this system to communicate with prospectives and to help them through the application process.

So, on my own I have been able to get my form set up and we began entering and storing new student info July 1. Now for part 2 and this is where I needed help. I am ready to set up automated communications. This is really exciting for me because my old system didn't do this. I have a peer on campus, Bryan Hill, who works in engineering. He has been using this system for years and he is a pro. He is going to spend the afternoon with me helping me get this next step put into place.

I am sure that this is not very exciting to you but it is thrilling for me. This will allow me to keep in touch with our prospective students much more effectively and efficiently. It's about time for Bryan to get here so I'd better get ready. Tomorrow I'll let you know how it went.

I wonder what I'll be doing next summer.

No comments: