Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Let me tell you about my night

It was such a beautiful day yesterday that when I left work, I decided it would be a nice night to get the kids out and about. We headed over to Wilson Park, just off campus. It was the perfect evening to go. Not too hot, very pleasant in the shade and the park wasn't very crowded. Several other families did have the same idea that I had so there were lots of kids swinging, playing in the sand, and climbing on the playground.

While I was sitting on the bench with my book, this is what I noticed (I have to confess that I LOVE to people watch. I am fascinated with their behavior and the way they interact with each other). One young mother sat and played her guitar and sang while keeping an eye on her toddler. I counted at least 4 families who spoke languages other than English and all were from different parts of the world. Several young couples (without kids) were lying on blankets under trees. Others were walking or running on the exercise path and I can't neglect to mention our 4-legged friends. Dogs do love the park, too. The mood was pleasant, happy, and carefree. It was wonderful.

After our trip to the park, it was time to find some dinner. We decided to go to Hugo's, well known for their burgers and crepes, located just off of the square in Fayetteville. When we arrived, we were fortunate to grab the last available table. Hugo's was hopping last night. It's a very popular spot. I ran into a Walton College peer who works in our External Relations office, one of our MBA students who graduated in 2008, and a current MBA student from France. That is what is great about this town. It is dynamic and many choose to take advantage of the wonderful opportunities; there is so much to do. Even while we enjoyed our burgers and my kids stuffed themselves with Grasshopper Crepes (crepes filled with mint ice cream & covered with homemade hot fudge sauce), people just kept pouring in. At Hugo's, you can get a burger for under $7 and those amazing crepes are only $5.50. Check out Hugo's at http://hugosfayetteville.com/.

Since Hugo's is located just off the square, after we ate entirely too much, we decided to walk around the square. The Fayetteville square is beautiful. The Old Post Office (OPO) sits in the center. Gardens surround the OPO so it is a wonderful place to stroll. Little paths meander and benches are tucked away strategically. As we discovered at the park and at Hugo's, others had the same idea that we had so there were several families and couples also enjoying the evening with a walk. I had a very nice night.

Of course when we got home I had to scrub the sand out of my son's hair but it was a small price to pay.

No comments: