Wednesday, July 1, 2009

If you love sports and want to get a master's or PhD...

The University of Arkansas finished 25th in the 2008-09 United States Sports Academy’s Directors’ Cup standings, it was announced Monday.

The Directors’ Cup is presented annually by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics, the United States Sports Academy, and USA Today to the best overall collegiate athletics programs in the country and this year’s standings were announced following the conclusion of the 2009 College World Series when final results were tallied.

For more information about the University of Arkansas Razorbacks, visit their website at: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/.

It is important to note that the Hogs are HUGE in Arkansas. I am from Oklahoma and in Oklahoma, there are two teams (they will remain nameless in this blog). In Arkansas, there is only one college team and no professional teams. This means the entire state gets behind the Hogs. The University of Arkansas offers a great Collegiate sports experience for students and the 24th ranked public school of business in the nation - the Sam M. Walton College of Business.

So...if you love college sports and want that experience while you go to grad school, the University of Arkansas should be on your short list.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Rebel,

There is more than one college team in Arkansas. While the other schools may not be as large as University of Arkansas, they do have a strong, fierce and loyal following. The other schools are at a disadvantage in the more popular sports becuase they are not in major conferences and do not get to compete with SEC teams regularly.

It's comments such as "there is only one college team in Arkansas" that makes the others schools despise Razorbacks. I can assure you that the entire state is not behind the Hogs. I root for all the Arkansas teams, but I must confess I loved watching the Lady Indians eliminate the Lady Backs from the WNIT.

I'm sure you did not mean it to, but that comment sounds like the typical trash talk between U of A and the other schools in the state.

See you on the 10th. :)

Rebel Smith, Ed.D. said...

You are correct, I was only counting BCS teams. Just like in Oklahoma, there are many many more schools than the big 2 - in fact I graduated from one. I also acknowledge that the other schools in Arkansas do have their loyal following. Yet, the Razorbacks are overwhelmingly supported statewide. This is unique. It certainly doesn't happen in Oklahoma. By having one BCS team, it creates a great experience for students at the UofA. Many students who read my blog have never attended a major sporting event. It is difficult explaining the dynamics. And yes, you are also correct in that there are those in the state who prefer to cheer exclusively for their local university/college team - as is their right. Keep in mind, I am trying to sell not only the Walton College, but the University of Arkansas. For many, attending Razorback games adds significantly to their experience.

Unknown said...

You are right, there is a huge difference between a BCS school versus a non-BCS school. Currently I am living in Clemson, SC and I have attended almost all of the Clemson home football games over the last two years and it is a completely different experience than games in Jonesboro, AR. I was in a state of awe during my first game. I can't wait to see how things are done in Fayetteville, after 24 years living in Arkansas I may finally make it to my first Razorback game.

I was just sticking up for the little guys and my alma mater.

Rebel Smith, Ed.D. said...

I commend you for "sticking up for the little guy." Attending a game in Fayetteville is a wonderful experience - from tail gating to post-game activities. I grew up going to OU football games. There is just something about seeing a game with 75,000 other people. Razorback stadium is amazing. You'll love it! And let's not forget the basketball team, baseball team, and track. All are very successful and further add to a student's experience.