Thursday, July 23, 2009

Summertime, Part 2

As promised, I am reporting my progress with my new data base. I had two goals for my help session yesterday. I wanted to learn how to export reports and how to set up an automated communications plan. Well, I did learn how to run my reports which is great. We got started on the email communications component but weren't able to get it all pounded out. At least I know where to start and I'll keep working on it. I really need to get this done before classes begin next month. Once the semester gets started, my focus will turn back to students. So, between now and August 24th, I need to conquer the mountain known as "Automated Communications Plans."

I should stress that when I said "my focus will turn back to students," I did not mean that students were not my number one priority over the summer. Students are ALWAYS my number one priority. Now that I have clarified that, summer is a great time to visit as long as you don't want to observe a class or meet with current students. If you want to tour campus, check out our facilities, and hang out with me, summer is the perfect time to do that.

There is one more project that I have been working on this summer that I forgot to mention. Walton GSB is going paperless. There will be no more paper folders; they will now be electronic. We began scanning all of our student files this summer. This has been a huge undertaking and we were very fortunate to have some MBA students helping us. It would have been very hard to get it all done without them.

In closing, I feel as though I would be remiss if I did not mention last night's, So You Think You Can Dance. I am talking about the summer after all, and I have said many times that one of my favorite parts of summer is, So You Think You Can Dance. Last night's episode had 2 amazing routines. For those of you not watching, it is now down to the final 8. Tonight is the 100th episode and they will be showcasing their best routines (several Emmy nominations and wins) and they will send home 2 more dancers. As summer is winding down, so is this. I should also share that I was able to have a wonderful discussion about the show at our MBA Summer Social. This conversation was actually with the wife of one of our new MMBA admits. After the series finale, I'll be happy to discuss the results with you too. It's great to know you are keeping up with the Walton GSB (and me) by reading this blog.

No comments: