Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

The last time I wrote, it was still August. Now here it is already September 2. Where does the time go? I can't believe I am using phrases that I used to hear my grandmother say when I was a kid. I do try to post every day but yesterday just got away from me. I spent the entire day finalizing my numbers for fall 2009. What does that mean? It is big fun, let me tell you. Yesterday was my day for scrutinizing excel spreadsheets, running numbers, and updating reports. For each of our master's degree programs (Master of Accountancy-MAcc, Master of Arts in Economics-MAEcon, Master of Business Administration-MBA-full and part-time-MMBA, Master of Information Systems-MIS-full and part-time) I tally all applications received, of those how many were complete, how many were offered admission, how many accepted our offer, and then how many actually enrolled.

These numbers are then compared with last year's results. In a good year, I see increases in all areas. Since it seldom happens this way, I hope for an overall upward trend. Happily, this is exactly what I found. The Walton GSB saw an increase of 15% in inquiries, an increase of 36% in total applications, an increase of 15% in completed applications, an increase of 17% in admitted students, and an increase of 11% in enrolled students. The biggest increase was in PhD applications. Compared to last year, this year we received 46% more. I did find declines in a couple of areas but overall, we saw an increase across the board.

I can now put fall 2009 behind me and concentrate all of my efforts in finishing the MBA class that will begin in January. It is also time to get to work on next fall. No rest for the wicked.

No comments: