Monday, October 5, 2009

Busy week ahead

Today, instead of being in my office preparing for the busy week I have ahead, I am home with a sick child. My five-year-old son, Jack, ran a low grade fever yesterday, slept most of the day, and didn't eat past breakfast. Today his fever is still lingering but at least I have been able to get him to eat. I am hoping it is only a 24 hour bug.

I should take this opportunity to address a scary topic, swine flu. The University of Arkansas does have a plan in place should swine flu strike the campus. If a student becomes ill, a call should be made to our Health Care Center. Symptoms will be triaged over the phone and if it is believed the student could have swine flu, he/she will be instructed to stay quarantined. The Dean of Students will be notified and an email will be sent to all of the student's instructors. Should faculty and staff become ill, we have been instructed to remain at home. Offices will remain open as long as there is personnel to staff them. Classes will continue as scheduled. If an instructor is ill and unable to teach class, it will continue online. The health of our students is our first priority.

As I mentioned, this week is going to be a busy one. Tomorrow I'll be at Walmart's ISD, 11-1, to talk about our two part-time master's degree programs. On Wednesday I'll be in Joplin at Missouri Southern's Career Fair. That same day after the Career Fair, I'll jump on a plane to Dallas for a conference on part-time MBAs. I am looking forward to this. I won't be back in the office until next week. If you are at Walmart's ISD or in Joplin, be sure to stop by and say, "hi."

Check out Jessica's blog. She did a study abroad in Rio this summer so she has some interesting insights to the 2016 Olympic games. You can read her opinions at: http://jessicasmbaexperience.blogspot.com/

No comments: