Thursday, October 8, 2009

It's raining, it's pouring...

Fayetteville is experiencing torrential rains right now. There was a tornado watch earlier. I get the emergency alert messages from the University on my phone. I received the following text message, "The University of Arkansas is under a tornado warning until further notice. Please take shelter immediately." Once the tornado warning had passed, this message was sent, "The tornado warning for the University of Arkansas has been lifted. Thank you." This alert system is in place so that we are all able to receive emergency messages immediately. Since I was watching a TV show that had been DVRed, I had no idea we were under this warning so this system let me know that I needed to pay attention to the weather. This same system would be used if the campus needed to notified of a dangerous situation, not weather related, and was implemented due to the violence that has occurred on campuses recently. Thus far, I'd say the system is working. Everyone who subscribes to these text messages was notified of the dangerous weather conditions. Currently, it is raining - HARD.

Update on my situation - the doctor called me back and after a brief discussion of my son's symptoms, I decided to take him in to be tested for the flu. Thankfully my doctor's office had walk-in hours until 7 pm last night. We piled into the car and headed on over. They did the swab test and it did come back positive for the flu. So, if you or anyone you know experiences a persistent low grade fever lasting more than 2 or 3 days, you should see a doctor. This version of the flu has the following symptoms: persistent low-grade fever, sore throat, cough, and congestion. Don't ignore a fever that lasts more than a few days. You are infecting others if you don't take care of yourself and stay home. The doctor said that it'll last 7-10 days. I am hopeful that he'll be fully recovered and well enough to go back to school on Monday.

So, needless to say, I'll be home again tomorrow. I did go in to the office briefly this evening to take care of a few things. Next Tuesday, I will be at Tyson's Corporate offices to talk about Walton's 2 part-time programs - the Managerial MBA(MMBA)and the Professional MIS. For more info on these options for full-time working professionals, visit http://gsb.uark.edu.

Next Thursday I'll be visiting the University of Arkansas at Fort Smith and that evening, we'll be hosting an information session in Rogers at the Arkansas World Trade Center at 5:30.

No comments: