Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Well, it wasn't a 24 hour bug

I got up this morning and was relieved to see that Jack felt much better. He ate breakfast and I took him to school. I dropped him off and headed to work. I had parked my car and was heading to the elevator when my phone rang. I pulled it out of my purse with dread and sure enough, it was my husband telling me he had just been called and that Jack needed to be picked up immediately. He had a temperature of 100.3.

I stopped where I was, just short of the elevator, turned around and headed back to my car feeling like an awful mother for sending him back to school with a fever. I checked him and thought he was fine although I didn't use a thermometer this morning. I can usually get a pretty good idea just by touch. Well, I was wrong today.

As I am driving back to school, I am trying to figure out what I am going to do about my schedule for the next few days. I was supposed to visit Walmart's ISD today and tomorrow is the Career Fair in Joplin, not to mention the conference in Dallas that begins tomorrow too. After talking to my husband about his schedule and consulting with my Assistant Dean, Marion, this is what we decided to do.

Today's visit to Walmart was cancelled and will be rescheduled. My husband will handle the sick kid tomorrow (Jack can't go back to school until he's gone 24 hours without a fever. It is for the best, we don't want to contaminate anyone else) and I will go to Joplin as planned. I will not go to Dallas. I don't want to risk my being so far away if he is still sick or has a relapse. If Jack is well and able to go back to school on Thursday, I will go in to the office. This way I am close in case he needs his mommy.

Right now, he is watching Tom and Jerry and I just finished putting tires (that he pulled off) back on his truck. My living room looks like a tornado hit it. There is a truck, a football, a pair of shoes, and a helmet on my floor. Sick days can be really rough when they are almost better, so they have most of their energy, yet are not well enough to go back to school. They are small for such a short period of time and I do treasure every bit of it.

Tomorrow I will be at Missouri Southern's Career Fair. Hope to see you there.

No comments: