Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Corporate Visits

As the recruiter for the Graduate School of Business, I make corporate visits. A corporate visit occurs when I go into a local company and do a presentation about our part-time programs. I had a great corporate visit at Kellogg today. The room was full, nearly 20 in attendance. This is an important recruiting strategy for the Walton part-time programs (MBA & MIS). These programs are designed for busy working professionals. It can be challenging getting the message out to this prospective applicant pool. Going into corporate offices is a great way of reaching this pool. The group today at Kellogg was great. They asked good questions and would make wonderful additions to our MMBA program.

Another way I reach working professionals is meeting for lunch. I receive an email requesting an appointment to discuss the MMBA. I then respond with an offer to either meet in my office on campus or for lunch at a location convenient for them. This is a popular service as it allows the prospective student to use their lunch hour and they do not have to take time off from work. I met a student for lunch yesterday and I am meeting another student tomorrow. The application deadline for this program is April 1 so recruiting is ramping up. This is a good time to be getting ready to apply.

Tomorrow is my last day in the office until after the holidays. I am taking a little time off to be with my kids and to recharge my batteries for the upcoming months. Once we return to the office on January 4, it gets crazy. MBA Orientation is January 4-8. PhD application deadline is January 15. MIS application deadline is February 1. MAcc deadline is March 1. Professional MIS deadline is March 15 and MMBA deadline is April 1. April 1 is also the early decision deadline for the MBA. Spring is a pretty busy time for GSB admissions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First, wish you and your family a happy holiday.

I also so admire you work even at lunch time. Your are so considerate for others.

I believe one day we can meet when I submit my application package of MAcc in your office, or just stop by to see your cute kids' pictures. Of course, all of these will happen in the next year. I will absolutely send you email first to have an appointment with you if I really need to bother you about application.